Naming and tagging:
I have done naming and tagging work for VISA (“Momentum Visa”), Scotiabank (“Innova Portfolios”), Sony Rewards (“Live Love Reward”), HP (“Make it Matter”), LACMA membership (“LACMA Links”), Joy TV (“It’s All Good”), The City Of Raleigh (“The R Line” / “You R Here”) and tech startups (“MindOptix”).
To come up with the right name (or tag line) some important steps might precede the pure imaginative work:
- Key stakeholder interviews to get the ethos of the company and the personal likes and dislikes in naming styles
- Competitive Reviews both to eliminate redundancies and to determine ways in which to really stand out in any particular landscape
- Bucketing by theme which helps the company see what the macro-ideas behind a particular group of names might be and select their favorite
- Narrowing down the drafts to a few finalists
- Internal and/or External review to pick a winner.
- Testing (when the client wants more feedback from external audiences)
Brand Messaging/Voice/Strategy projects:
I use a straightforward approach to brand work centered around company wish lists, competitive reviews and target audiences. We break down the nuts and bolts of brand values, key messaging, and the look and feel of communications. This might be as simple as working on a specific piece of collateral, a website or ad campaign. But we also might go deeper into identity work, creating a set of guidelines for communications to guide the right messages to the right people in the right way.
I have re-imagined messaging and brand identity for companies like HP, The Whitney museum (where my work on redesigning and naming a new membership program “Curate Your Own” helped increase sales by a record 25%), McKinsey Fast Growth Tech, e-commerce sites , an online security firm, City agencies, financial institutions and real estate developers.
Branding and Identity Projects might involve the development and articulation of:
- Key communications drivers and messaging themes to help a company self-direct their communications
- An inspiring Brand Platform: emotionally riveting, based in fact and a unifying principle which reaches across all communications
- Direction for the look and feel of the brand
- The heart of an organization’s brand values expressed as a Manifesto
- Specific brand “voice” attributes tracking across all media to ensure the brand is speaking effectively to the right audiences.
I work with a flexible schema that can be tailored to each company’s needs.
I also do more straightforward writing projects such as:
- enlivening basic copy
- creating structure and storytelling for websites
- shaping the copy for campaigns, internal communications or advertising